I hate matches. However for those of you that do not hate matches a way to make sure your matches work after being wet is by waterproofing them. Wax can sometimes have a tendency to flake off or make it hard to strike the match, but shellac creates a strong coat over the head of the match and provide enough texture to easily strike the match.
Waterproof matches (better than wax)
- How Are Your Swimming Skills? — One of the most neglected areas of survival preparation is that of water safety training. According to the American Red Cross, only half of adults in the United States can perform the essential skills they would need to survive in the event of a water emergency. These critical skills could ultimately save lives. Certain swimming [...]
- How Useful Are Your Pumpkin Seeds? — Over a century ago, American farmers noted that when their livestock munched on pumpkin seeds, they seemed to urinate more often. They weren’t the first to notice the seeds’ effects. The Iroquois had long used pumpkin seed as a diuretic, and the Cherokee gave it to children to control bed-wetting, since it seemed to help [...]
- Char Cloth — Char cloth (or charred cloth) is a swatch of fabric made from vegetable linen, such as cotton, that has been converted (i.e. decomposed using a process call pyrolysis) into a slow-burning fuel of very low ignition temperature. A single, small spark placed on char cloth will ignite the cloth which will begin to glow red. [...]
- 3D Printers, Guns And Politicians... — The U.S. House of Representatives voted to renew the 25-year-old Undetectable Firearms Act on December 3rd. The Senate followed suit on December 9, the day the bill was set to expire. President Barack Obama is expected to sign the bill into law as soon as it reaches his desk. The law stipulates that all firearms [...]
- The Safe And Private Home.. — These days, the number of victims of home burglary is quite alarming. According to FBI data American homes are robbed every 15 seconds. In any given time, especially if you live in a high-density area, your house may be next. Burglars don’t just take your belongings and walk away quietly, leaving you and your family [...]